We have listed below many of the Western North Carolina attractions that you may be interested in visiting when you stay with us at the Taylor House Inn. They include Tweetsie Railroad, Linville Caverns, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and much more.
High country attractions
- Grandfather Mountain Grandfather Mountain is the highest peak in the Blue Ridge Mountains range and a globally recognized nature preserve. Stand head and shoulders above the surrounding region, be struck with awe by 360-degree views of mountain ridge after mountain ridge retreating to the horizon, and discover a sanctuary for the human spirit.
- Tweetsie Railroad Tweetsie Railroad is a unique attraction that allows children and families to explore their imaginations and a whole lot more. Be a cowboy, an Indian, or an engineer. Of course, every guest will want to take a ride on our historic steam locomotive, Number 12, listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Linville Caverns
- Horn in the West Horn in the West drama is performed in Boone, North Carolina at one of the most beautiful outdoor theatres. It is great entertainment to share with family and highlights the story of the nation's first settlers in the Blue Ridge Mountains. This drama is enjoyed by children and adults alike.
- Blue Ridge Parkway, National Parkway Site A drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway is meant to be slow paced and relaxing. Winter seems to clear up the atmosphere, offering spectacular vistas. The Parkway meanders 469 miles between Shenandoah and Great Smoky Mountains National Parks.
- Orchard at Altapass The Orchard at Altapass is an Appalachian cultural and historical center celebrating the people, music, art, and natural beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina. Built by the Clinchfield Railroad over 100 years ago, the Orchard sits right on the Parkway, providing some of the most amazing scenery in the Appalachian Mountains.
- Watauga County Farmers' Market The Watauga County Farmers' Market has been in operation since 1974 and is located in Boone, North Carolina. The market is a direct link between our local farmers and the consumer.
Arts and Entertainment
- An Appalachian Summer An Appalachian Summer Festival is a multicultural and interdisciplinary arts festival presenting and producing programs in music, theatre, dance, and visual arts. The festival forges a unique national identity through artistic excellence, innovative programming, commissioning new works, and educational opportunities.
- River and Earth Adventures, Inc. The mission of River and Earth Adventures is to explore, have fun, and educate.
- Dutch Creek Trails. Enjoy wooded trails, old farm fields, valley views along Dutch Creek, and southern hospitality. Whether you are an experienced cowboy or a little "green", our skilled staff and gentle horses make for a pleasant visit.
- VC Farm. The rustic countryside provides ample opportunities for recreational activities. Both residents and visitors alike can be found enjoying the amenities at the riverfront Valle Crucis Community park, with multiple children’s playgrounds, athletic fields, picnic areas, and a walking/running trail around its border.
- Boone Bike. At Boone Bike and Touring, we pride ourselves in helping you pick the right products for your ride; be it an afternoon outing with the kids, completing your first 50-mile ride, or racing. We offer bicycles, accessories, clothing, equipment, repair shop, ride information, trail maps, mountain and road bike rentals, and a friendly staff!
Places to Eat
- "Simplicity" Fine dining restaurant featuring fresh, gourmet, organic, contemporary, regional cuisine, in keeping with the Western North Carolina culinary heritage ~ Home grown and homemade on the farm ~ Dinner is as good as it gets, and Sunday lunch at the Mast Farm Inn is a “step back in time” ~ Long live serenity
- Joy Bistro. Here at Joy we want to welcome you to elegant but rustic dining, where we wish to serve you some of our favorite foods. Husband and wife team, Chef Melissa Joy Claude & Gary E. Claude wish to prepare and serve fresh, seasonal foods in a relaxed & casual atmosphere
- Vidalia. Our exceptional service and intimate atmosphere welcomes you for a unique and comfortable dining experience.
Located across from the Watauga County Courthouse on King Street, Vidalia provides the ideal in dining enjoyment.
- The Painted Fish Cafe.Step inside the Painted Fish Café and Beer Bar and discover something truly unique in North Carolina: recognizable dishes with a twist. We offer an upscale experience in a relaxed, casual ambience where you can indulge in great food, fun beers and superb wines all at surprisingly reasonable prices. Outdoor dining overlooking Sugar Mountain is just one of many inspirations.
Need help planning your stay?
- Blue Ridge Vacations North Carolina Vacations and Travel Guide for Western North Carolina Tourism for the Blue Ridge Mountains; the Blue Ridge Parkway, the North Carolina mountains of Banner Elk, Blowing Rock, and Boone, NC.
- Boone Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Avery-Banner Elk Chamber of Commerce
- Blowing Rock Chamber of Commerce
- New England Hiking Holidays We have done all the research for you. We have sought out the best trails, both long and short, challenging and gentle. We have walks for you, we have hikes. Whether it's five miles along rolling carriage roads you desire or a steeper ascent to a rocky peak, we have both.
Need a realtor or broker?
- Michael Parkinson REALTOR Broker Because the real estate industry has become more sophisticated and challenging, you need a professional that understands the industry and the market. I promise that I'll go that extra mile to satisfy your needs and expectations!